Can Photographs Change the World?


    I believe photographs can have an impact on the world. They provide inspiration to many. When I was a little girl, I did a project on Mother Teresa a Roman Catholic nun who was a humanitarian. I was inspired by her dedication to help  poor people who were extremely ill. Over her lifetime she established multiple charities such as an orphanages, family clinics, home for the dying and “opened Gift of Love, a home to care for those infected with HIV/AIDS in New York.”  Her missions inspired people to volunteer all around the world to help people in need. Although, I haven't had the opportunity to volunteer around the world, I volunteered at nursing homes throughout my childhood. When I was old enough I began working with people with mental and physical disabilities making differences in their lives. I've been continuing my education in health sciences to gain more knowledge and skills to continue to help people in need. There is nothing more rewarding than helping others.
                                                      Photograph by: Mary Ellen
     Not only do photographs inspire people to do wonderful things. They can impact an entire country, changing history. Alexander Zemlianichenko took a photograph of Boris Yeltsin dancing at a concert during a 1996 reelection campaign. As a result, the public realized he was healthy enough for another term and was reelected. Photojournalist Alexander Timonin Janko was also awarded the Pulitzer prize for the photograph of Boris Yeltsin.
Photograph by: Alexander Zemlianichenko

    Furthermore, Jonathan Klein's TED video, Photos that Changed the World , he explains how images can impact the world by causing international outrages on horrific occurrences to make a change. Photographs have caused governments to change their policies to provide better humane practices. In addition, images from the earthquake that occurred in Haiti brought many volunteers and donations to help people. Klein states, " images have power to shed light of understanding on suspicion and ignorance. We can either look away or address the image." Images can change our view of the world. 

     Today, we see more images being shared through social media. In Ferguson, Missouri, a man named Antonio French captured photographs with his cell phone of police officers killing an unarmed teenager named Michael Brown and posted it to his Twitter account. His actions helped draw attention internationally shedding light on police misconduct.  Anonio French is a “citizen journalist of the best kind: a credible witness who has helped inform the wider public about a critical matter.” This is has impacted the world to be more aware of law enforcements' actions and to be held accountable. It has also caused many police departments to start wearing body camera's as well.  It is our civil duty to prevent incidents from happening when we expect police officers to "protect and serve."
     
    Still to this day we see many war photographs from WWI, WWII, Civil War, and Vietnam War. However, we don't see many  war photographs from Iraq and Afghanistan. The US government limits what civilians can and cannot see in media outlets. The reason behind it, is to keep our country safe and to prevent retaliation among the countries we are at war with. Most importantly, we must try and keep our soldiers safe. If we were to have photographs of the war, it would provide insight to enemies of their location.  



Sources:
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2011/07/20117258316765540.html

Comments